What's New Member Apps
IAFF Local Newswire Join the Newswire!
Updated: Jul. 28 (05:59)
Chester City Cadet Class Bravo Chester Firefighters Local 1400 Union Meeting IAFF F-123 Office Hours for July 27 - 31 IAFF Local 311 48/96 Trial Schedule Ballots IAFF 851 General Membership Meetings International Association of Firefighters Moorhead Firefighters Local 1323 Golf Tournament IAFF Local 21
Malden Fire Fighter's Local 902 sends our thoughts and prayers to the families of our fallen brothers.
FF Michael Kennedy and Lt. Edward Walsh will never be forgotten.
For the full story click here
A Lieutenant Walsh - Firefighter Kennedy Memorial Fund
has been established at the Boston Firefighters Credit Union
Donations will be accepted by mail by sending a check to:
Lieutenant Walsh - Firefighter Kennedy Memorial Fund
Boston Firefighters Credit Union
60 Hallet Street
Dorchester, MA 02124
Fire Safety Topics
May is Electrical Safety Month
Leading Cause of Fire Deaths in 2014
According to the State Fire Marshal's Office, electrical fires were the leading cause of fire deaths in Massachusetts in 2014. There were eight fatal fires that took the lives of 15 people in 2014; the most tragic fire was on July 10 in Lowell where four adults and three children died in an electrical fire.”
Preventing Electrical Fires at Home
Take a few minutes to look around for electrical hazards in your home and correct them. Items such as electrical cords under rugs or pinched behind furniture, overloaded outlets, and laptops and phones charging on beds or sofas can expose you and your family to fire.
One way to prevent electrical fires is to practice electrical safety. Fires often start when too many things are plugged into a single outlet or circuit overloading them. Another frequent cause is using extension cords, especially with appliances that generate heat like space heaters, irons, and toasters. Extension cords are designed for temporary use, but many people leave them in place permanently and forget about them. A cord can easily become pinched by furniture and over time eventually lead to a fire. Unplug appliances by grasping the plug; don’t pull by the cord. Use the correct wattage light bulbs in lamps and fixtures.
Give Electrical Systems a Tune-Up Every 10 Years
The need to plug many things into a single outlet or reliance on extension cords, are signs to have an electrician review your system. Fire officials recommend having a licensed electrician review a home’s electrical system every ten years. Small upgrades and simple safety checks like making sure outdoor grounds and connections are secure can prevent larger problems.
Know the Warning Signs
Call the Malden Fire Department immediately if you have warning signs such as arcs, sparks, or short circuits. Other warning signs include hearing a sizzling or buzzing sound or smelling a vague odor of something burning. The Malden Fire Department can use thermal imaging technology to see excessive heat inside the walls.
Call a professional electrician soon if you have any of these warning signs:- Frequently blown fuses or tripped circuit breakers- Dim or flickering lights, bulbs that wear out too fast- Overheated plugs, cords or switches- Shock or mild tingle – more than normal static electricity- Loose outlets or unusually warm or faulty outlets or switches
Fireworks for Fire Prevention
The Division of Fire Safety works closely with local fire departments to enforce the fireworks laws and regulations and make sure the supervised fireworks displays are safe for both spectators and shooters. The Division of Fire Safety stands ready to provide technical, compliance, and enforcement support, 24/7 – especially during the busy 4th of July week. The following numbers may be called for immediate assistance: outside of regular business hours (508) 820-2000 and during normal business days (8 a.m. to 4 p.m.), (978) 567-3375.
Reminder: LEAVE FIREWORKS TO THE PROFESSIONALS!!!
Click Here to access the Massachusetts Department of Fire Service webpage regarding Firework Safety
According to the Massachusetts Department of Fire Services, in 2011, there were 10,038 residential fires involving cooking. These incidents resulted in three civilian deaths, 67 civilian injuries, 24 firefighter injuries and an estimated $6.3 million in property damage.
Charcoal and Propane Grille Ordinance for the City of Malden
Any barbecue grilles are to be placed outside buildings in an area clear of heavy grass and brush when in use. They must be atleast 5 feet (5') away from any structure and away from any overhead hazards such as tree branches, awnings, clotheslines, etc.
Charcoal is to be ignited only by charcoal lighter fluid or electricity.. Barbecue grilles are not permitted on porches, rooftops or balconies when in use. Storage or use of liquid propane gas containers above the first floor of a building used for habitation is prohibited.
Any barbecue grille is not to be left unattended at any time while in use.
Upon completion of use of a charcoal grille, charcoal or charcoal briquettes are to be thoroughly extinguished.A permit must be obtained from the Malden Fire Department for the use and storage of propane.The use of a barbecue grille may be prohibited by the Chief of the Malden Fire Department, in his discretion, for failure to comply with any provision of this section, for any conduct which constitutes a violation of the laws of the City of Malden, or in the event the use thereof will cause a dangerous or hazardous condition. Failure to comply with the provisions of this section shall be punishable by fines and penalties as set forth in Section 1.13.
For more grilling safety tips, click here
Mulch Fire Safety
Mulch is a combustible material that can be easily ignited by improperly discarded smoking materials. Hundreds of small and large fires are started this way every year. The risk is that what starts as a small outdoor mulch fire can quickly spread to buildings.
A mulch fire can be well underway before someone notices or is alerted by smoke alarms or sprinkler systems activating.
Regulation on Mulch SafetySafe use of mulch is regulated through 527 CMR 1.00, section 10.14.10.4. The regulation prohibits new application of mulch within 18” around combustible exteriors of buildings, such as wood or vinyl, but not brick or concrete. Residential buildings with six units or less are exempted from the regulation, but all homeowners may want to adopt these safety practices. The regulation applies to all other buildings including commercial properties.
Tips for Property Managers, Building Owners & LandscapersProvide a minimum of an 18-inch clearance between landscape mulch beds and combustible building materials, such as wood, vinyl siding and decks.
Use non-combustible mulch such as rock or pea stone around gas meters and combustible portions of the structure.
Provide proper receptacles for smoking materials at all entrances to public buildings and in designated smoking areas. Place them at least 18" away from the building, do not mulch in these areas and remember to regularly empty smoking receptacles.
Grounds and maintenance crews should be aware when conditions are favorable for mulch fires and increase surveillance of mulch beds.
Keep mulch beds moist when possible.
Million Dollar Mulch FireThe most notable mulch fire in Massachusetts occurred at a Peabody apartment complexin May 2008. The cigarette-lit fire caused a $6.7 million loss, and displaced 750 peopletemporarily and 36 permanently.
In April 2012, improperly discarded smoking materials ignited mulch outside an assisted living center in Braintree. The fire forced the early morning evacuation of many older adults, some of whom suffered smoke inhalation injuries
Report Mulch FiresIf you see anything smoking in a landscape bed, put it out if you can and report it. If the burning material is not thoroughly wet or removed it can re-ignite.
Report any smoke or fire via 9-1-1.
Be a Responsible Smoker: Put It Out. All the Way. Every Time.If you smoke, remember to properly dispose of all smoking materials.
Always use appropriate receptacles for disposing of smoking materials and matches.
Do not discard cigarettes in mulch or potted plants.
Use ashtrays that won’t burn or catch fire and that are deep enough to contain butts. Wet butts down before throwing out.
As more people smoke outdoors rather than inside,many building fires started by smoking begin on decks, porches, and exterior stairways.
Be smart in your choice of containers for butts. Consider using metal cans with sand for outdoor disposal.
Never throw lit smoking materials out of a car window. It is a fire risk and it is illegal to do so. The penalty for throwing lit materials from a car is a fine of $100 and/or thirty days imprisonment (M.G.L. c. 148 § 54).
How Mulch Fires Start: Care must be taken to prevent mulch firesIn many mulch fires, the smoldering mulch tunnels under the surface and then breaks out into open flame.
Mulch that is piled too deeply, more than a few inches, can build up heat and spontaneously catch fire.
Mulch fires start more readily when the weather is hot and it has been dry for an extended time.
Factors such as below-average rainfall, dry conditions, warm temperatures, and high wind increase the risk of mulch fires.
Storage and Manufacturing of Mulch527 CMR 1.00, Chapter 31 has safety requirements for those who store or manufacture mulch. It limits the size of mulch piles and requires a distance of 30-feet between piles
(Section 18.104.22.168.2.2) and 25-feet from the lot line (Section 22.214.171.124.3).
Large piles of mulch can spontaneously combust from all the heat they generate, so it is important to be vigilant and employ good housekeeping. The distance between mulch piles keeps a fire from spreading from one pile to another, or to a building